You can't say I didn't warn you, proceed at your own risk.
So I had to do something the other day that is very unpleasant. I have had to do this task every couple of months for the last few years. What is this unpleasant task? Shaving big long hairs off of my big toes. Gross I know! You were warned!
It isn't really the shaving of the big toe that worries me the most, it is the notion that I somehow brought this on myself. Shaving was a big issue to my mom. She was convinced that if you never ever shaved your legs, you would never have to. Apparently all those years of living in Europe, she never looked down. She KNEW for a fact that our little leg hairs would stay downy soft and blond if we never shaved them.
I gave in to her pressure for a long time, probably longer than I should have. When a boy in high school complimented me on the pretty hair on my legs (he was being genuine) I went straight home and shaved. That is NOT the kind of compliment a teen age girl wants to hear. Sure enough, surprise surprise, like every other adult woman who doesn't want to do a yeti impression, I have to shave my legs regularly.
What does this have to do with my toes? I don't know the exact point at which I noticed the giant hairs on my toes (probably coincides with the time I had to start wearing glasses all the time...including when I wanted to shave) but I still have this nagging guilt that because I shaved the hairs once, they came in long and dark and will never go away!
The rational scientific part of me knows that it has nothing to do with shaving or not shaving, and everything to do with being a mammal. The screaming lunatic that lives inside me just keeps shouting that I never should have shaved my big toes.
2 comments:
Okay...I am belly laughing! Other than the rant about TOE HAIR, this could be my blog post! I ambushed mom with Doug's girls and insisted she give her permission for me to shave, when I was 15! She would have never known if I had just shaved, but apparently I was a good girl and wouldn't do it without her permission!
Oh, sad, you've only been shaving your toe hairs for a few years? I think the nurses probably did it for me in the hospital right after I was BORN because I've always had hairy hobbit toes! ...maybe I should write a post about how whenever I drive anywhere with Jon he always ends up leaning over and pulling out one of the crazy witch hairs that seem grow over night on my CHIN.
Post a Comment