Monday, January 12, 2009

50 books this year


So I don't make too many resolutions, I pretty much know my faults and if I can't fix them the rest of the year, I'm not likely to fix them because a new year started. I do make small, doable goals frequently. Long term goals are just a set up to failure for me. I am going with one goal though, to read 50 books this year, and keep track of them. I already read a lot, but rarely keep track of what I am reading. I figure I need to read 4 books a month and a couple more here and there. This month I'm reading Scarpetta, The Giver, Shipwreck at the bottom of the world (again, it's a favorite), and finishing up Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. If anyone has any suggestions, please give them to me. I'm not above a cheesy romance novel here and there, love a good dork book, mysteries are a favorite, and of course anything I can read with my students. I'll keep you posted (heh heh) on what I've read, and what I think of it.
I also want to lose 10 lbs, give up caffiene, keep the house cleaner, stop procrastinating, finish any number of half completed projects, get Christmas sewing done before Christmas eve...seriously, this list could go on forever. Like I said, I know my faults so I'm not going to stress myself out by making a huge list of stuff I could do better. When someone comes up with the "eat junkfood, sit around and watch TV and lose 10 lbs" diet, I'm all over it! Until then...I'm going to read.

4 comments:

Becka said...

I like this goal, not only will you feel good achieving it, but it will make you smarter (or cheesier). I have some recommendations, and you already have some of the books:
"Cadillac Desert" - Marc Reisner
"Industry (aka: the Dork book)"
"The Monkey Wrench Gang" - Edward Abbey
"1776" - David McCullough
"Marriage: A History" Stephanie Kootz
"America" - Jon Stewart

I figure there's a good mix of comedy and dorky (its a little dork heavy). Love you.

LM said...

Wow, I don't think I could achieve that goal, with my one book every four months! In this area you are not a slacker! :) I will add another hard goal to your list...sew Easter dresses before they turn into Christmas dresses!

Marf said...

Maybe Becka and Liz would like cute matching dresses with Alex and Court, oh, and Aaliyah. That would be fantastic...I think I'm channeling Mom! Even better LM, I could make you and I cute matching dresses...something in a floral with a huge collar

Becka said...

I want a pencil skirt! So make me, Liz, Alex, Courtney, Aaliyah, you and Auntie Boo matching pencil skirts! Boo ya!

p.s. my verification word is pyronat, I'm pretty sure its not a real word, but I plan to call Scott a pyronat anyways.