Friday, February 6, 2009

Book Report

So I am enjoying the fact that the more I read, the more I accomplish my one and only resolution. I finished Scarpetta a week ago, my only report on it goes a little like this: "MY EYES, MY EYES". I think I am going to have to give up reading Patricia Cornwell books. There was too much bad language, and even if there are people in this world as deranged as her killers, I don't want to live in their heads. She did manage to twist around the storyline, then untwist it into a tidy ending that I enjoyed. The book itself was dark and nasty though.
I wish I had a book group that had read "the Giver", it was very interesting and I am itching for someone to read it and discuss it with me. The concept really hit home to me as a member of the LDS church, and someone who takes her agency very seriously. I thought a lot about how difficult it must be for God to watch us all make mistakes. The theme of agency and choice, and an unsettling ending made for a great read. Anyone interested in discussing this further let me know. I was reading it in the teachers lounge one day, and at least 8 teachers commented that the book is really good but they didn't like the ending.
I also read one of Janet Evanovich's "between the numbers" books called "Plum Lucky". It was a quick fluffy read. I like her character Stephanie Plum. I enjoyed this book as much as her number books. I wonder why though she would go to the trouble of writing a between the numbers book instead of just writing more number books.
I am currently reading "shipwreck at the bottom of the world", and "double fudge" with students at school. I should be done with both of those within the next couple of weeks. I started the second "spiderwick chronicles" book today, they only take a couple of days to read. I am also still working on "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" and it is fantastic.
So much for my book report, life is always good in the land of make believe!

2 comments:

Becka said...

I can't believe I forgot to take all those books home with me (and the rest of my mail). I'll start reading "The Giver" as soon as I can. In the mean time, think about whether you like David Sedaris books, there's a bit of language from time to time, but he's freaking hilarious, I could borrow you a few of his books if you're looking for more quick reads.

Marf said...

I've heard good things about the David Sedaris books, so I'll give em a try. I have 6 books sitting next to my bed waiting to be read, so probably don't bring them by for a month or so. I went to the book fair with Court and bought more books for myself than her (that's why I'm such a good mom). I've already read 1 and am almost done with another that I bought. You need to read them too.