Thursday, April 9, 2009

A must read and a couple of pretty goods


For anyone keeping track, I have now read 12 out of my 50 book goal. I have a bag next to my bed with 12 more books in it...call it my "queue". I am enjoying the reading but I must admit it is feeding into a bad habit of mine, buying books. I know I should check them out from the library, but I can't seem to help myself (naughty me). So far I have read spiderwick chronicles one and two, shipwreck at the bottom of the world, a series of unfortunate events (3), Plum lucky, Scarpetta, The Giver, Flush, and for this last month I finished:
Double Fudge by Judy Blume- I admit I wouldn't be drawn to this one, I read it because the reading group of 5th graders chose it. Books like Flush, and A series of unfortunate events although written for a younger crowd were very enjoyable. Maybe the Fudge books are written for a crowd too young for me to relate to. It wasn't bad, but I'm not lining up the rest of the Fudge books to read later.
Plum Lovin by Janet Evanovich- same review as Plum Lucky-good, not stellar, could have just waited for a numbers book. Funny, light read.
Bear Stone by Will Hobbs-I read this at school and then got to go with the sixth graders to hear the author speak. The book was great, the author really inspired me to actually get serious about my writing.
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. Someone must read this book and discuss with me. I love the author's writing style. The storyline was so compelling I could hardly put the book down. READ THIS! I heard they made a movie from the book, but I'm not sure I want to see it. I almost always hate movies I see once I've read the book.
So that's it for now, 12 down, 38 to go!

4 comments:

Lovely Lizzy said...

38 is not bad. Very doable. I wonder if Monica reads your blog. I should tell her.
I'm contemplating the Memory Keepers Daughter, especially since you bought it.
I'll get on that.
After the Book of Mormon.

Scooter said...

I am trying to do this goal but I always get tied up in school, your lucky that you don't have to study... sure you have to cook, clean, take care of children, work, stop the world from falling out of orbit but you don't have to study for tests

Becka said...

Scott's right! Remember that time when school was your only priority? No? Oh, yeah. It's because you've always been an empress at multi-tasking! It's so awesome that I have a mom who is smart and stressed and intelligent and wonderful and...

Becka said...

Um, just spotted a book I think you'll enjoy. It's called "In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto" by Michael Pollan. As if that title weren't enough to entice you, I'm ready another book by that author right now, and its amazing. Just thought I'd let you know why I'm thinking about it.