Saturday, May 9, 2009

Stuff I read in April

I got a little busy and fell a little behind on my goal for April. I should be able to make up for it this month. May is super busy but I am not working as much, so I want to read more.
I read "The Appeal" by John Grisham. I don't always need a flowery happy ending, but I don't want to read a whole book only to get to the end and find out that life always sucks and won't get any better. I wouldn't recommend this one (especially since I probably just ruined the end for you). I just really didn't like this book and its message at all.
I read "confessions of a shopaholic" and other than its slightly PG 13 rating for some bad language that you just couldn't see coming, I really enjoyed this book. I totally understood the main character and her convoluted logic. It also made me feel much better about my closet full of clothes and shoes. I would definitely recommend it, and you can borrow it because I bought it.
I read "Bridge to Terabithia". My main gripe with this book (other than another sucky ending)is that I read it out loud with students, and even though they are biblical swear words, it has a healthy smattering of cussing. The main character also says "lord" a lot, and although iffy as taking the name of the Lord in vain, just uncomfortable for the kids to say. I started editing out the bad words as I read and the kids picked up on that and did the same.
I'm working on several books right now and should be caught up soon.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

First off, this is Melanie Jeppsen. I hope you don't mind me peaking at your blog. There is just something about John Grisham that makes me want to read his books, but when I finish (if I finish) I wonder why I wasted my time. They're all basically law related and set in Biloxi, Mississippi. I much prefer his earlier novels, i.e. The Firm and The Pelican Brief. If you haven't read The Chamber, I beg of you, DON'T. Really, thinking back, many of his books are too much the same for me and boring. On a lighter note, I really want to read Confessions of a Shopaholic. Did you see the movie? I haven't, but I can't wait for it to come out on DVD. Also, if you want an invite to my blog just get me your email. Although, I completely understand if you don't...we're pretty boring over here.

Marf said...

Melanie, I would love an invite to your blog. I also really love your book comments. Sometimes I just really want to talk to someone about what I read, this was soooo perfect for me! I feel the same about way about Grisham books, I don't know why I keep reading them. Big corporate baddies after the little guys. I used to love Mary Higgins Clark, but I read too much of her and could solve all of her mysteries within the first chapter. I gave her up long ago, need to do the same with Grisham. Please come borrow Shopaholic, you'll enjoy it. If I were you though, I would probably see the movie first and then read the book. It never works out if you do it the other way. Seriously though, the book is sitting on my banister waiting for someone to read it and discuss it with me.