Friday, June 27, 2008

Silly Ryan/Silly Mommy

I'm a worry wort, a genetic trait I can't seem to get away from. I was beat last night when I dropped into bed at 12:30. Exhaustion not withstanding, I woke up at 2:30 just worried about Ryan. He had a very non-risky surgery coming up the next morning (today) and I just couldn't get it out of my head that something would go wrong with the anesthesia. The crappy deal about being worried in the middle of the night is that I am so exhausted that everything seems so much worse. I kept going over all these horrible scenarios in my mind, truly silly stuff. I finally got a little sleep around 4:30 or 5:00 a.m. not really enough to help. Ryan wasn't concerned at all, he has had the same surgery (myringotomy-tubes in his ears) at least 3 other times, I've lost track. Anyhoo, he actually likes the feeling of coming out of general anesthesia.
I am happy to report that all went very well. Ryan was silly the whole way through. They had him put a hair net thingy over his fantastic fauxhawk and he thought this was a wonderful look. He kept pulling the hair cover up into a poofy hairdo. He was fantastically brave as they put the IV in, something that had been done after he was asleep in the past. I think I was feeling more pain watching him. The nurse that came out to get me after the surgery was just laughing at sleepy boy Ryan. He kept saying silly things and having them move his legs around.
I helped him sit up, moved his legs around (because he said he couldn't move them), talked to him, and he remembers none of it. He kept asking me to whisper so he could see if the surgery worked, but he had cotton balls in his ears and didn't know it. He said everything sounded muffled--ya think! The thing I like about this surgery is that it is immediately effective. As we were driving home someone honked their horn near us (not at us) and I thought he was going to shoot through the sunroof.
He has been a little loopy-a trait I enjoy in him. He was using everything from kayak oars to a vacuum, to help him stand up--truly silly.
I know when I am awake worrying in the middle of the night that I am being irrational, I just can't seem to stop myself. I am tempted to take an ambien tonight, but dunno, I guess loopy doesn't quite cover how I am after taking one. I wouldn't know because they give me fantastical amnesia, niiiice.

2 comments:

Lovely Lizzy said...

I love it! So glad to see you posted. I kept meaning to text, but the day escaped me. Silly that we live across the street and I didn't see or really talk to you all day. No grandbabies. I think I would have liked to be there to see Ryan. He's silly. And you should totally not watch ridiculous medical shows anymore. That's why you couldn't sleep. YOU are overreacting. Ryan isn't dead. Anyway, fun stuff. Maybe I should call now and you would forget all that I said (while you ate a bag of popcorn, or maybe since I want more cookies you could eat a whole batch of cookies and just notice the dishes in the morning).

Becka said...

Other fun things to lay awake worrying about: spinal meningitis, intestinal blockages, tires falling off your car on the freeway, robins, missing nuclear warheads. Enjoy your ambien, druggy.