Oh no, now I have to try and think what I read a month ago...I can barely remember what I read this morning. It is almost July and I realized I forgot my May report. I read "Living Dead in Dallas", I think it is by Charlaine Harris or something like that. Considering the buzz HBO is getting for the series based on the books (True Blood), I had hoped it would be better. I thought it was generally lazy writing. She didn't develop her characters enough for me, maybe she thought readers would be fascinated by vampires and not care about anything else. Here's a thought, maybe I should stop reading books about vampires because I will always be disappointed. It's been years since I read Ann Rice's vampire books, but I think I liked them.
It was generally a disappointing reading month for me (sorry), I read Gregory Maguire's "A Lion Among Men", the third book in his Wicked trilogy. I found none of the characters including the cowardly lion, to be at all appealing. I pretty much just drudged though this depressing tale to get to the end. I have enjoyed other books by this author much more than this one.
Oh, a surprise good read for me was "Animal Farm" by George Orwell. Scott recommended it and it was a thought provoking tale. For those of you like me who had never heard of this book, it is a fairy tale written during world war 2. The story of the animals taking over the farm in order to have a better life and the ensuing hardships they faced was to be compared to what happened to the citizens of Russia. It does have modern day comparisons and is a great read. It doesn't have a happy ending at all, but it can't all be happy endings.
I am not sure I read anything else, I continue to fall behind but refuse to give up, I'll have to toss in a couple light reads and catch up. If I think of anything else I read, I'll toss in into June's report.
I'm currently taking a delightful tour of Europe in Bill Bryson's "Neither here nor there". I'll report when I'm done.
2 comments:
I am so impressed...I haven't read a book for months! Were you like this as a kid, I was too young to notice if you were always reading, especially since I am like 20 years younger than you! :)
Ok, you did your May report, so now I will report on Confessions of a Shopaholic. I must admit I was a little let down. I had high expectations and it really wasn't at all what I was expecting. I guess I would say it was ok. I have now seen the movie which is very different from the book. Having seen the movie, I now like the book better than I did before I saw the movie. Have I lost you yet? My sister and I agreed that they "dumbed down" the movie.
Post a Comment