Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Pass/Fail



I thought it might be a simple way to earn a few extra dollars (very few) to work concessions at the county fair. Things get a little tight when I don't get a paycheck for 3 months. I went down to Farmington to take the food handlers permit test and a drug test...guess which one I failed. Here's a clue: I am more than qualified to handle your food :)
I passed the food handlers test with ease. I can also pee on command which is more than I can say for either of my sons. I knew that the prescription pain meds I had taken for my foot surgery could be a problem, I just didn't know what a pain it would be to get it all cleared up. I had to talk to this Dr. and give him all the prescription information off of all the drugs I take, then he had to call the pharmacy and verify the information I gave him. It was such a pain, and I didn't get to start working until Thursday.
Working the fair wasn't bad though. I might still smell a little like hot dogs, you'll have to ask someone around me. I spent the 3 days I worked there at the pizza trailer. Almost everyone who came to the trailer was disappointed that all we had was pizza. We did get the vegetarian crowd because we offered cheese pizza. The scone/navajo taco trailer and the hamburger/french fry/corn dog trailer did much better than us. Then every evening I got sent down to the arena to work in what I call the "shack of disappointment". If people were disappointed at the pizza offering, you can only imagine how disappointed they were that we only offered hot dogs. You could buy bottled soda or a hot dog. No, you can't buy beer here. No, we don't have nachos. No, we don't have candy. Yes, a hot dog is considered a snack, and yes, that is all we have.
I didn't get to use any of my fantastical food handler skills jerking sodas in the trailer, or tonging hot dogs in the shack. Strike that, I did know that I needed to wash my hands twice after going to the bathroom (or smoking should I take that up), and that hand sanitizer and gloves cannot replace a hand washing. You should all feel that the world is a safer place now that I can properly handle food. And to those of you who had to eat food I prepared before I got my permit, just think of all the fun names food poisoning has: Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella, E. coli O157:H7, Listeria, and botulism. Whee

2 comments:

Scooter said...

You should now go get a job at Taco Bell so Ryan and me can get free food. Then we would love you a lot more and I would stop saying I don't love you anymore. I may even clean my room for you.

Becka said...

I don't know if peeing on command is such a skill if you can't pee un-drugged pee. I just get nervous when I know they're waiting outside listening to make sure I don't pull any shenanigans. Druggy.