20 years ago today I finished one of the longest days of my life with the birth of our first son. My labor with Scott should have been a pretty big clue to what our life is like with him. No, not extended hours of excruciating pain, just an easy going guy who will come when he feels like it. I was in the hospital for about 23 hours before he was born...but to my credit, it was a natural delivery. Apparently this is the way all great Ninjas are born. We were all so excited to welcome Scott into our family!
What do I love most about Scott? That's easy, I can see all that is good in the world through his eyes. Scott finds joy in just about anything. I find joy in Scott. I can always depend on Scott to hurl his 6 foot 4ish body across the room at me in one of his patented "ninja" attacks. While it might not seem all that joyful, the "fish flop", "python squeeze", and "flying squirrel" are magical.
He has beaned me with more flying stuff in his life than I can ever catalog. Just tonight he opened the fridge and one of my carefully stacked (booby trapped) tomatoes fell out on the floor. Did he pick it up and put it back? No, he beaned me on the cheek with it...but then he kissed it better so I laughed. He likes to throw stuff, and burn stuff. Both tendencies have caused me a little grief. I don't think strangers having rocks thrown at them find it humorous at all. Oh, and the time he almost lit our carport on fire, again, not so charming. I have never been able to stay mad at Scott. Now at 20, he hardly ever throws rocks, and has for the most part learned to contain his inner pyromaniac.
I love that anytime Scott picks up a camera, any camera, he takes a bunch of funny pictures of himself. Scott is a very talented photographer, the self-portraits aren't necessarily his best work, but they are funny. I think one of the reasons he is a good photographer is because he is able to capture his view of the world through his camera (you used to be able to say "on film" but those days are over).
So Scott, Happy Birthday, Happy every day, and thanks for sharing your ninjaness with us. Keep up the good work! Love ya, Mommy
5 comments:
Ahh, Scotty. Hooray isn't he fun. Happy Birthday to him, I totally forgot to tell him even though he was around.
That was fun to read though. I love how happy he is. He also teaches my Tyler silly things. Like the ninja kick, which he thinks is a new dance move. (Ryan needs some credit for helping teach the kick.) Ahh. We'll funny Scott. Happy Birthday
I thought he was mine! Do you only want to get rid of him when he is burning things?
scott is only yours when he is naughty. maybe you should keep him...i'll take him back when he is being good...once or twice a month
scott is only yours when he is naughty. maybe you should keep him...i'll take him back when he is being good...once or twice a month
Thanks for the comment and support, I can't believe he is STILL getting tubes?! I seriously hope this is a one time deal for us. But, since he is older, and can talk.. what is the recovery like after getting tubes?
Post a Comment